Tuesday, November 6, 2007

the weather has turned

My normal greeting is, "Welcome to Tim Hortons' would you like to try an Ice Cap?" And that worked just fine, up until last night. Why? It was snowing. The wind was whipping around, knocking stuff all over the place. Mama kitty just stayed in her cardboard box behind the dumpster and didn't come out. It was cold and whenever I asked the customers if they wanted an Ice Cap they morphed into some sort of bitchy meteorologist.

"Come on, buddy, it's 30 degrees out here. An Ice Cap? With the wind chill it's got to be at least 10 degrees colder. At least. And you've got the nerve to ask me if I want an Ice Cap," said one old dude. "It's supposed to be colder tomorrow, you know."

"It was just a suggestion," I said. "Personally, I like the Ice Cap during all seasons, though."

"Fine," said the old dude, "but I still think that you suggest something hot when it's this cold."

"Ok, I know for certain that you don't want an Ice Cap. How about you tell me what you do want?" I said.

"Are you getting smart with me, young man," he said.

"No, never, sir."

No comments: